We have a new grand baby as of yesterday afternoon. Hunter has a little sister - Phoenix Autumn Ross. Unfortunately I have no pictures yet to share. The technology of getting pictures from a camera to nana seems to be missing this time. I think it is a problem with the camera phone and facebook. Hopefully I have pictures tomorrow. The baby was born at 4:57 PM on November 12th -- my mother's birthday. Although since I have yet to get a picture I am beginning to doubt her existance -- but I have heard her loud and clear in background of numerous phone calls. Everyone is doing well. Hunter is missing his mum I am sure - and not allowed to go to the hospital because of the H1N1 flu. I will be going to see little Phoenix and Hunter on Tuesday. Since the baby was supposed to be born sometime after November 17th - I can not go until after working this weekend.
Since I have no pictures of the baby I can show pictures of my weekend retreat at Bowen Island last week.
This is the kit that I bought in Skagway on the cruise in May of 2008. It was actually much easier to cut out than I thought it would be. I used Steam a Seam lite. It is amazing how much fabric gets cut away from the fish. I have since cut out the rest of the two borders and it is ready to be put together. The fish are not ironed at this time - just placed in position. About half way through cutting out the second fish I discovered that I had put the fish on the fabric upside down --so the second fish was opposite in colour to the first fish - red part of the fabric was on the bottom instead of on the top. I was in a panic. It was a kit and I had no more fabric - and it was going to look silly. As we all gathered around my table Sunday afternoon trying to decide what I should do - search on line for more fabric - place the fish in a different position. We actually decided we liked it better that way and all Jim really cared about was that they had green heads! So I think the colour movement in the piece actually adds to it a bit -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
My next accomplishment was my Morris Garden quilt. I made 20 or so blocks -- there are a LOT of half square triangles!! I am going to make as many as I can with the amount of fabric I have - which should be about 60-70 or so. Because I am still having mathmatical issues with this quilt. Thinking - obviously not clearly - I decided that each large square cut into two half square triangle would make two blocks - so 30 fat quarters -- two large squares -- four large half square triangles = 120 blocks. Except that each block required TWO half square triangles --- thus only 60 blocks - and not quite enough for the size of quilt that I thought I was making. I am sure in some previous math class some math teacher insisted that this Grade 10 algebra would one day come in handy!! To make the quilt the size I want I think I need about 72 blocks. So -- my dear friend Dianne gave me a bit of William Morris fabric from another line -- quite lovely and I ordered a few fat quarters from the new Morris Workshop line - and I think I can do this.........
A couple of pictures from the show and tell at retreat --one of my favourites was this little Red Rocks of Sedona wall hangings made by one of the ladies in my Friday stitch.
And a very pretty quilt made from a "Flower of the month" fabric club. Not a fabric club that I would have thought of joining but you just can help but feel happy when you look at a quilt just full of bright and pretty flowers.