Sunday, March 05, 2006

My next big quilt

I have almost finished quilting the final border on my sampler quilt. I have found enough fabric left over from the final border fabric to make the binding - which is wonderful as the fabric was bought in 1993. This yellow/blue and white quilt is my next big quilt to be layered and quilted. This is my "summer quilt" and the sampler is my "winter quilt". This quilt looks much better in person. It was supposed to be a different layout with each row alternating pinwheels and plain blocks but I found because of all the different fabrics it looks very messy like that.


I am going to take it to a woman in our quilt guild who does the long arm machine quilting and get her to layer it and do some machine quilting on it - I would like to do a little hand quilting on it - maybe some outline quilting in the pinwheel block. This quilt is just huge though - much bigger than the sampler quilt - as I discovered when I put it on the bed. I have made a couple of other bedsized quilts and I find that getting them machine basted and or partially machine quilted professionally is much easier. It is still nice to be able to do a little hand stitching on them.

Jim has gone off on a fishing boat for three days - herring - so I think I will be able to finish the last bit of quilting while he is gone. I will probably put the binding on when I go to the Spring Retreat in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment